Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wordplay a la crosswords

Among yesterday's NY Times crossword puzzle clues like:


59. Nadya Suleman, mother of 14 familiarly (Octomom)


15. Procter & Gamble deodorizer (Febreze)


I noticed a shout out, if you will, to the host of my second favourite comedic news program (I prefer the Colbert Report). 


46. Stewart of "The Daily Show"


The answer was of course Jon (Stewart).


In 2006, IFC released a documentary called Wordplay that is all about the New York Times crossword puzzle. And who better to interview than the man who makes the puzzle happen, Will Shortz. Jon Stewart was among the many interviews with crossword puzzle fans. How flattering of Shortz to use Stewart as a clue in yesterday's puzzle. I'm thinking it's because Shortz has a good sense of humour and can appreciate that Stewart thinks Shortz can "best him in a physical joust." 


I recommend checking out, if not the film, the trailer


Editing, be it an article, short story, novel or even a crossword puzzle requires a well rounded knowledge of the thing being edited.  


The Tuesday crossword puzzle makes me feel almost as brilliant as I do when I complete the Monday crossword. One day, with out help or cheating I will finish a Sunday NY Times crossword but for nowI'm still trying to figure out 62-down: Suffix with pay or plug. Three letter word starting with an 'o'.


Oh wait, I got it. "Ola." 



No comments:

Post a Comment