Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Editing to not get in trouble.

Is omission the same as lying? 

I write another blog about being a server and living off my tips. There are somethings I don't write about in case my employer reads it. The goal is not to complain about my job and get fired but rather write about the restaurant industry in Winnipeg. 

There are other things I don't mention in my blog strictly based on the fact that my mom reads it. There have been a couple swears peppered in here and there which, as I've mentioned before, my mom doesn't like. 


I don't talk about the amount I drink or how many cigarettes I smoke because even though my mom already knows these things, she's an "out of sight out of mind" kinda lady. 


Take for example my tattoos. My mother knows about my tattoos and she has seen all three of them but the memories of such have been repressed. She caught a glimpse when I was getting into the shower on a visit to my folks' place in Newfoundland.


Last fall my best friend Lisa got married and I was her Maid-of-Honour. The dresses were strapless which meant the tattoo that caps my shoulder was out for everyone to see. Upon seeing the pictures my mom had a bird! The conversation went as follows:


Mom: When did you get another tattoo Heather?!


Me: I've had it for 5 years Mom. You know this. 


Mom: I think you're lying to me.


Me: Nope. You've seen it


Mom: Well I can't show your father these pictures. He will have a bird! 


Sure that doesn't seem so bad but there's nothing worse than my mom being angry with me so I omit some of the details when I write. At 26 I'm still afraid of getting into trouble. 


Is that lying? Or is it self preservation? 


George Orwell said it best: "For a creative writer possession of the "truth" is less important than emotional sincerity."





No comments:

Post a Comment